If you have an appreciation for art and history and enjoy meeting new people, volunteering at the Cryrus Dallin Art Museum is a rewarding way to pursue your interests and provide a valuable public service. Volunteers are crucial to our daily operations and help on a weekly, monthly or as-needed basis. Depending on your availability, you can volunteer as an Associate Trustee, docent, through internships or for special events.
However you choose to help, you’ll enjoy working with the diverse and talented people that make our museum a vital part of the Arlington community. To learn more about volunteering at the Cyrus Dallin Art Museum, email email@example.com or call 781-641-0747.
Associate Trustee Positions
If you are interested in serving as an Associate Trustee, in the roles of Exhibit Carpenter/Fabricator, Marketing & Publicity Coordinator, Graphic Designer (Print and Other Media), Museum Education Coordinator, or Event Planner, please send a letter of interest with a resume to the Cyrus Dallin Art Museum Board of Trustees at 611 Massachusetts Avenue, Arlington, MA 02474 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Associate Trustee: Exhibit Carpenter/Fabricator
The Cyrus Dallin Art Museum is seeking a volunteer Associate Trustee responsible for designing and building exhibit components and for exhibit upkeep and maintenance. Museum experience is beneficial but not required. The Exhibit Carpenter/Fabricator will work in collaboration with the Director/Curator and members of the Exhibits Committee of the museum’s municipal Board of Trustees. We also welcome involvement in other areas of museum operations.
– Design, construct, and install museum pedestals, display cases, and mounts
– Mount and secure sculptures, reliefs, coins, and medals on exhibit components
– Hang, level, and secure paintings, photographs, labels, and signs
– Maintain and repair current exhibits
– Basic finish carpentry, painting, and drywall skills – Mastery of use and safety with power tools
– Access to tools and a workshop
– Sign-making experience a plus
Associate Trustee: Museum Education Coordinator
The Cyrus Dallin Art Museum is seeking a volunteer Associate Trustee to assist in the development and implementation of educational programs and materials for visitors of all ages. The education program coordinator will play an important role in developing the museum’s audience and building its base of support. This individual will help plan and manage in- and out of school programs, adult special interest tours, children’s scavenger hunts, art workshops, and family events. The Education Coordinator will work in collaboration with the Director/Curator and members of the Education Committee of the museum’s municipal Board of Trustees. Museum experience is a plus but not required. We also welcome involvement in other areas of museum operations.
– Assist with the development and implementation of programs and materials for diverse audiences.
– Evaluate programs and foster partnerships in the schools.
– Coordinate school and group tours.
– Assist with internship programs for local high schools, colleges and universities.
– Degree or 2 years teaching experience preferred
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Knowledge of basic computer skills
– Organized, self-motivated and able to meet deadlines
– Interest in art and museum education
Associate Trustee: Event Planner
The Cyrus Dallin Art Museum is seeking a volunteer Associate Trustee responsible for planning an annual calendar of events, finding event leaders, and assisting with event budgeting and details. The Event Planner will work in collaboration with the Event Planning Committee of the museum’s municipal Board of Trustees. We also welcome involvement in other areas of museum operations.
– Research and propose event ideas to the Board of Trustees
– Estimate event cost and anticipated income
– Maintain the running 18-month Calendar of Events
– Work with the Events Planning Committee to assign event leaders and assist in event preparations
– Strong communication and networking skills
– Excellent organizational skills, with special attention to time management
– Previous event planning experience preferred
– Interest in art and museums a plus
Docents play a core role by staffing the museum during visiting hours, noon to 4 pm Friday through Sunday, and assisting with special projects and events. We can’t operate without them.
Being a docent requires a modest commitment of at least 4 hours per month. No prior knowledge of art or history is required. We provide training to help you become familiar with the permanent collection, lead tours and knowledgably answer questions about Dallin and his art. High school students can earn service credits by volunteering at the museum.
The Cyrus Dallin Art Museum offers flexible internships to college undergraduates and graduate students. Our museum staff works with students to design an internship that meets each individual’s professional and academic goals. Internships are unpaid but may be completed for course credit.
To art and history enthusiasts that prefer helping on a project-by-project basis, the Cyrus Dallin Art Museum offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. Working on educational programs, the annual Art on the Green fundraiser, and research projects are just a few examples. To learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities for special events and projects, email email@example.com or call 781-641-0747.